Monday, September 10, 2007

Scanned Flower Art?


I thought I was done with the topic of flower art--see below for posts on flower dogs and flower carpets—when I found an article at Human Flower Project about scanning flowers.

Truly amazing pieces of work, although skeptics ask: Is it Art? Is flower arranging art? Are photographs of flowers art? What about X-ray photographs of art?

Several years ago I saw an amazing show of x-ray photographs of flowers at a local jewelry store. Truly art. Unfortunately I can't prove it because I can't find the artist. Whiel searching for her, I did find x-ray photographs of flowers from Hong Pham, Judith McMillan, and Steven N Meyers.
Some of these I think qualify as art--there is artistry involved in the design. Others strike me as simply unique and intimate ways of looking at flowers more closely.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

for me, art is in the eye of either the beholder or the maker.

If you say that piece is art, then it is.

hong p said...

Thanks for your post on the subject...I didn't realize medical x-rays could be used to create art until I stumbled upon it myself. I did all my work in seattle and I miss dearly!!