Saturday, November 29, 2008

Berry Walk: Yew Berries

I focus on different plants at different times of the year. Through most of the spring and summer, I'm looking for flowers. Around August, at the time of the Assumption, I begin noticing the grasses which are in flower. And beginning in Lammas, it's the berries. I thought I would feature some of the local berries over the next few days.

Yew berries. They're not actually berries but arils. I first learned about them a few years ago when I noticed a flock of bird twittering in a yew hedge. They stripped the tree within an hour, gorging on the berries.

I just finished taking a class with master teacher Priscilla Long. I was working on an essay on foraging and one of my fellow writers was writing about a patch of dirt in her yard that is next to a yew tree. She mentioned the "poisonous looking" berries on the tree. I told her they were not--I think it's just the fluorescent pink and the gelatinous texture that makes people think they're poisonous.

Then I got a couple of books on edible plants from the library and learned the seeds (there are hard brown seeds inside those bright pink fruits) are quite poisonous. I was so relieved to see Chris in class the next week and hastened to let her know she should not eat the berries. Apparently birds can eat them because they don't digest the seeds but simply poop them out, thus helping the yew to reproduce.

The yew's reputation for toxicity is well-deserved. Both bark and leaves are poisonous.

4 comments:

Gail Adrian said...

Isn't that fabulous? The birds derive sustenance from what is good and merely excrete the bad. Wow. Gail

Jeanne said...

Oh my, I'm dismayed to read in your newsletter that you're discontinuing the calendar! I've been following it for many years. Sigh ... time to move ahead into new ventures. I will continue to read your blog and newsletters.
A silent loyal fan~
Jeanne :)

Anonymous said...

While at the parks department in Boston, the sighting of yews in a park/ playground became a topic of intense discussion.

Anonymous said...

I eat Yew Berries every year, as you rightly say the seeds are indeed poisonous. So you pop the berry in your mouth and suck the flesh from the seed for a tasty little snack.