Monday, June 22, 2009

Waverly Time

In my last newsletter, I wrote about showing up late for a BBQ with the excuse that I was late because I was working in my garden, and later realizing that I was living in "plant time," an entirely different kind of time than clock time.

Well, this weekend, the same friend invited me to yet another BBQ (his apartment building is famous for their long, hospitable BBQs) and this time, when he left the message he said: "It starts at 3 PM people time, not Waverly time." And that got me started thinking about a whole new kind of time: Waverly time.

I didn't make it to the BBQ but that's because I was living in Waverly time. In Waverly time, you are never rushed and you do things when you feel like doing them. That's all I know so far about Waverly time. But I find the whole concept delightful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Time is such a funny beast and when you get out of touch with the rest of the world, it is disconcerting. I took Tuesday off work to celebrate my daughter's birthday and when I went back to work on Wednesday, it felt like it was Monday and then Thursday felt like Tuesday. I finally got back in synch on Friday, but it is really weird to be off from the rest of the world.